If you’re enthusiastic about moving day, you represent a minority of the population.
Even if you’re upgrading from an old to new home, small to big, many days will be spent packing up your belongings and setting up in your new home.
Here are some tips to ensure that moving is as stress and hassle free as possible.
- The day you move house – make sure that is the only thing you schedule in for that day. Moving always takes longer than anticipated.
- Cater – make sure you have plenty of water and snacks on hand and break for some proper meals. Moving day is exhausting in every sense, so you want to make sure you are well-fuelled and hydrated to ensure peak performance.
- Have everything packed for when the mover arrives – the professionals want to be in and out of the job, so don’t have them waiting around. Have everything prepared and ready to go.
- Pack and de-clutter – while packing, get rid of anything that is broken or won’t be used. There is no point hoarding things and transporting them to your new home if they are redundant in your life.
- Have all equipment on hand – think boxes, tape, markers, scissors. It is better to over-buy than under-by these goods as stopping and starting on moving day is time consuming.
- Start packing as soon as possible – pack anything you don’t need. Linen, towels, kitchen appliances, things you aren’t using everyday – these things can be easily packed in advance.
- Pack an overnight bag with essentials – keep out a change of fresh clothes, fresh underwear, toiletries and pyjamas so that when you’re in your new place, you don’t have to scavenge through trying to find pyjamas in the middle of the night.
- Be flexible – moving day won’t go as smooth as anticipated, so be flexible and deal with problems when they arise and change plans accordingly if necessary.
- Make it fun – have some great music playing on moving day. No one likes moving day if it involves a whole lot of silence.
- Don’t schedule the cleaner for the day you move – schedule a cleaner a day or two after moving. This way, this gives you enough time to clear everything out just in case some issues arise.
- Have cash on hand – there are always hidden costs on moving day – paying the movers, buying food etc. so come prepared.